Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Light Sides


As you have no doubt heard, Hawk Nelson released a new cd by the name of Crazy Love. Scott Jackson posted a review of that album on Tuesday (you can catch that here), however this is "The Rest of the Story" (to quote Paul Harvey)... my review of "The Light Sides". To clarify "The Light Sides" is an acoustic cd that is bundled with Crazy Love in the "Deluxe Edition" of the album.

To the review...

The disc starts off with arguably Hawk's biggest song "California" and what the boys do to the song is... interesting? They replace all of the guitar parts... with human voice... creating an interesting sound.
One of my favorite Hawk Nelson Tunes is "Friend Like That", and I looooooooove the acoustic version. Replacing the electric guitars with acoustic creates a need sound without compromising the already amazing song. "Zero" is next up with as well as "Stagefright" which both sound great. "First Time" sounds more like a rock song without electric guitars than anything. Kinda disappointing.
What is done to You Have What I Need is to say the least, fresh, fun and rockin'. I like.
Everything You Ever Wanted comes in with a decent sound (the highlight is the drill sound playing at the end).
Skip ahead to "Take Me" and you are listening to one of the highlights on the album.
Not really acoustic par~say, but it's a tasteful remix of a already great song.
My only gripe about the album is "36 Days Later". It sounds whiny to me. That is my opinion at least, the song doesn't stink... I just think it's whiny.

That sums up my review. If you're planning to pickup Crazy Love, don't skimp, go all out and pick up the Deluxe Edition. The Light Sides is worth the 4 extra bucks.

My Score -

1 comment:

  1. Online social buitterfly wo is oblivious to the worldFebruary 23, 2011 at 7:31 AM

    i cant stand non-electronic music i burned my copy my i reccomend hawk's "let's dance"remixes instead?

    ReplyDelete