Tuesday, February 24, 2015

School Curriculum

As Facebook has no doubt told you over and over and over (and over and over and over) again, there is some new (very controversial) curriculum coming to public schools this Fall.

This isn't a blog about that. There are enough voices on the net talking about the pros (and the infinite number of cons) to the situation.

Instead, I figure if we are adding stuff to the schools this fall, I might as well let my voice be heard. Here's what I think should be added to schools this fall.


Useful Math

Seriously, when was the last time you had to do the math to build a bridge? Or figure out how many apples Kim would have if Dianne ate three and gave David 9 oranges? When was the last time you had to worry about taxes?

That's right. I want basic accounting and taxes in schools! Never again would I have to worry about what on earth a T4 slip is!... or is it a T3... I would know this... if it was part of the curriculum!

Political Science

Really, Evan? You would make kids in Grade 6 learn about politics? Yes. Yes I would. We are constantly hearing about low voter turn out. Why? Well... there are a number of reasons... too many for one blog. However, a basic understanding of Canadian politics may help people get into it when they hit the age they can vote. Also, I just want kids to know the difference between an MP and an MPP...
Bear in mind, Basic Political Science was one of the few subjects I aced in high school... so I may be biased...

Reading

I know that reading is a part of school... I can't remember how much (I was home schooled for most of my life, which meant a LOT of reading), but I know it's there. However, there should be more... 'cause reading is awesome!

Small Engine Repar

O.K... admittedly, I am not really serious about this one. I do sorta wish they did cover that in Elementary School though... Every time I have to pay my mechanic... I kinda wish I was one!


1 comment:

  1. WTF? You were homeschooled. You got to pick your curriculum.

    ReplyDelete