Thursday, March 3, 2016

Being Social

Recently, I've been thinking a lot about one of the many paradoxes in my life. I didn't really want to blog about it, but I feel like someone else has to be able to relate. So here you go!

I love socializing but hate being social. See? Paradox.

Hanging out with friends is one of my favourite things to do. The bigger the group the better. I love to get a large groups of people together for dinner and a movie. I do it about twice a year. The group gets bigger every time. It's nice being able to set up something fun for people you love.

However, drop me into a large room full of people I don't know... it's a different story. I know people that thrive in that situation. They would walk out of there 30 minutes later with 13 new friends that they will keep in touch with for years. I think my sister got that gene in my family, because I am not that person!

When I started going to my current church was when I first realized this about myself. It was the first time I had gone to a church by myself. Before that, I had always gone with my family. They "anchored" the experience. I always had a fall back if I wasn't feeling comfortable or couldn't work up the courage to talk to someone.

Anyway, all of that to say that I am trying to change. Instead of staring at my phone, I'm trying to engage with people in conversation. Using the church example, I started going to a small group to meet people in a more intimate setting. I also never sit in the same place twice. You meet new people all the time and get a new perspective on the stage.

Why go to all of that work if it doesn't come natural?

Because I know I'm missing out by not doing it. I'm missing out on meeting some really cool, exciting people. I'm losing out on relationships that could help progress me in my faith... or visa versa. 

If you're struggling with meeting new people. Take the first step. Sit in a different place at the school's cafeteria, notice what someone is reading over lunch break at work or make small talk at the coat rack at church. 

At the end of the day, this is the easiest way to live out the great commission Jesus gave us. Talk to people. You never know where it will lead.




No comments:

Post a Comment